Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 26, 2024, 09:21:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayhem Intergalactic Tournament (unofficial thread)  (Read 27616 times)
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:04:17 am »

Hey guys. I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for about a week now. The short of it is - I'm setting up a Mayhem Intergalactic tournament. Once I figure out how many people are interested, I'll determine the best way to conduct signups, then come up with a good way to schedule matches. I think the responsibility will probably rest on your shoulders to contact your opponent, get as many observers as you can, and play by a certain date, usually within 1 or 2 weeks or until all the matches are played.

Some unorganized ideas:

Basics
-This is for Steam users and non-Steam users.
-You sign up by telling me you want to play. You give me your forum name, steam name (steamID), in-game name, real world country, and preferred color (pick a first and second choice of the eight in MIG), and I write you down.
-Games are 1v1.
-Single elimination.

Playing Your Games
-If we start with, say, 16 people, I draw up a Round Of 16 (RO16). I randomly insert names into the brackets to decide who's playing who. This makes 8 games total. I give you two weeks to contact your opponent and complete the match. At the end of these two weeks, RO16 has ended and I figure out who moves on in those cases that some games could not be played in time. I then update the tournament bracket and post in the thread, then declare the next deadline.
-Maps will be taken from my map thread (click here). Once I'm finished with the last map I'm working on, there will be 3 maps in the possible rotation. You and your opponent each pick one map to NOT play on, and play with whichever is left. In the event you each eliminate the same one, you have to determine for yourself which of the remaining two maps to play on. Try to be fair.
-Play in the official MIG servers if possible, to make sure the server is up-to-date. Invite friends for observers. They are not necessary but help greatly in making the game feel important. They should be polite, however, and try to not chat in the chat window when the game is going, as it can boost important strategic info outside the chat threshold.
-Play with the following settings: Turn Limit 40, Turn Time Limit 120 seconds, Production Normal, Natives Moderate, Ship Speed Normal (basically the defaults)

Aftermath
-At the end of the match, the only requirement is that at least one of you must post in the official thread saying who won.
-Win or lose, I would really really like to see each player write an End-Of-Game statement in the tournament thread, basically congratulating your opponent, saying how you thought the game played out, etc. Well-wishes make the whole thing civil, and strategic talk makes the tournament interesting as a technical game, so we can see how maps are working, etc.

This has been a doozy of a thread, but one more thing. I've talked to Chris... And there will be prizes.

-Edits:
Feb 29: Added the tournament ladder mockup. So imagine you in your preferred color, six more players along the bottom row, 8 players along the top, and the RO8 and RO4 duplicated along the top, and that should give you some idea of what I'm going for here.

* Ladder_Mockup.png (853.9 KB, 1024x1024 - viewed 2252 times.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:22:58 am by Minus » Logged

My SteamID - Let's have a game!
Mayhem Intergalactic Steam Group - Let's have a bigger game!
ark
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:40:48 am »

Will they be FABULOUS PRIZES? If so I'm in =)
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:43:57 am »

Will they be FABULOUS PRIZES? If so I'm in =)

They'll be splediferous.

Kumlekar
Eats planets for breakfast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:27 am »

HELL YES!  I seem to remember suggesting this in another thread. Even so there will be no lawsuits for copyright infringement ;-)

What is Six Times Nine
Forty-Two!

Jp may have played mayhem before it was cool, but I play while its cool! *

* "Cool" is defined as the period of time in which Kumlekar plays a game.
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:53:15 am »

HELL YES!  I seem to remember suggesting this in another thread. Even so there will be no lawsuits for copyright infringement ;-)

Hmm. So you did, here, but so did Prez about a week before.

I like Prez's prize idea, but the possible prizes Chris and I talked about are not that.

Jp
Pilot

Yet Another Generic Information-Age User Name

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:02:21 am »

Sounds good. I'd play/will play.

Forum ID: Jp
Steam ID: Mister_Jp
In-game name: Jp
Preferred colour: 1 - red, 2 - blue
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:05:37 am by Jp » Logged

I used to play Mayhem Intergalactic before it was cool.
Cankillar
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »

I'm in, when does it start? I am unable to play this weekend, Feb 21-22.

Forum: Cankillar
Steam: Cankillar
In Game name: Cankillar (go figure)
Preferred Colors: 1-Green, 2-Blue, 3-Orange
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:22:34 am »

I'm in, when does it start? I am unable to play this weekend, Feb 21-22.

Not for awhile. I need to get some resources together and directly talk to people to drum up interest.

Preferred Colors: 1-Green, 2-Blue, 3-Orange

I presume you mean you're providing a first, second, and third choice. This is a good idea and I'm amending the original post. Obviously some people will still end up the same colors, but this will help spread popular colors a little more thinly.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:32:28 am by Minus » Logged

Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:50:49 am »

Just adding my seal of approval to this thread. Smiley

The prizes will definitely be splendiferous.
Boris
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:32:56 am »

I'm in, I'll send the requested info privately.
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:33:53 am »

Okay, that's Boris, Ark, Cankillar, Kumlekar, and JP on board. That takes care of everyone I know and play with frequently - why don't you all please spread the word to the people I have lesser contact with. Viralize this.

Kumlekar
Eats planets for breakfast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:31:46 am »

I'll have more people for the tournament once I convince my friends to buy the game.

What is Six Times Nine
Forty-Two!

Jp may have played mayhem before it was cool, but I play while its cool! *

* "Cool" is defined as the period of time in which Kumlekar plays a game.
Ray Tracer
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:40:39 am »

I'll sign up, I'll give the details next time I see your on. Smiley
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:05 am »

I'll have more people for the tournament once I convince my friends to buy the game.
Good luck! Grin
Percipient
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 06:55:14 am »

I would love to participate in this tournament, where can I get more details about when and how?  I notice that it is extremely hard to find people on the public internet query list through the game....where are all you players out there?  I'm getting bored with playing only against the computer...

Steam name:  Percipience
Mayhem name:  Percipient
Preferred color:  Green, Orange, then Red
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: